[TriLUG] Mounting a clonezilla image

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 4 09:13:19 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Andrew Blum <ajblumx at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 20:06 -0400, Brian Blater wrote:
>
>> [ 2877.894044] loop0: rw=0, want=31262424, limit=28121856
>
> This typically indicates that the filesystem is larger than the
> partition table boundaries it should contain.  Was the partition that
> contained your / filesystem restored to the same size partition ?

The original partition was 16gb and the current partition holding the
image file is 26gb. Now, I'm not trying to restore the image, but I'm
trying to mount the image as a loopback device so I can just grab a
few files I need from the backup. Not sure I really understand the
limit here. The backup with Clonezilla is just a block-by-block image
of the partition using partclone. Is the limit something imposed by
the loopback device?

Mounting may not be possible then. I may try just throwing another
external drive with a blank partition and restoring to that partition.

>> Any other way to extract and mount a Clonezilla image to restore some
>> files instead of restoring the image to a partition?
>
> I know nothing about Clonezilla or what sort of image file is created
> using it.
>
> But, for what it's worth, have you tried the instructions given in
> clonezilla.org
> http://drbl.org/faq/fine-print.php?path=./2_System/43_read_ntfsimg_content.faq#43_read_ntfsimg_content.faq

Yes, went over this faq extensively, but since this is not an NTFS
drive I used the partclone.restore command.

> Good Luck,
> --
> Andrew Blum

Thanks for your help.