[TriLUG] Custom PC suppliers

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu May 5 15:18:52 EDT 2011

If I am not mistaken, we have several IBM servers in our control room, so
even though they may be more expensive, they are not out of the question.

I received word a few minutes ago, that some paper work was found on the
server that failed.  It turns out that we a few months left of warranty
left on it and may not need to purchase a replacement.  We are in the
process of restoring it as close as possible to factory conditions to call
their support line.

I wanted to ask, though, if for no other reason than future reference, is
there a local sales office for IBM or do I need to go to an
(inter)national web site / call center?

The purchaser would be UNC-Chapel Hill, Energy Services (which is
separated from IT when it comes to the control systems), but still a govt
purchase.

The reason we are geared towards servers in this case is because of
hardware differences that may not be as challenging as they were a few
years ago.  Specifically, the machine uses two PCI-express x 16 slots with
two dual video cards for 8 monitors.  I am told that this used to be
really difficult to find and they had to go with server hardware
initially, but this last weekend I was looking at some of the new P67
series motherboards for the i7 and even mid-line (sub $200) motherboards
supported 2-3 PCI express cards.