[TriLUG] Macbook Curious

Joseph S. Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:31:54 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Bill Farrow <bill at arrowsreach.com> wrote:

> Every time I touch a Win 7 laptop I am disappointed at all the little
> things, like boot times,  weekly updates and patches,  pre-installed
> crap-ware, malware, anti-virus bog etc.  It leaves you feeling icky.
> We know better than that !

I read that Macs are going the way of their predecessors with
non-upgradeable parts, proprietary connection standards, and similar vendor
lock-in techniques[1].  We know better than that too.  Sure it's a matter of
time before there's a workaround, or compatible third party replacements,
but it leaves you feeling icky.

I still like ThinkPads for Linux compatibility, and under Windows, top of
the line power management, display management, and disk backup utilities in
Windows.  Sure there are a couple of system apps of dubious usefulness, but
they're easily uninstalled, or turned off.  Also, the wireless chips are
usually Intel, and integrated with the kernel very quickly.  A ThinkPad may
cost more than a Dell or HP, but they're better put together than a Mac,
more serviceable, and can be docked.

If you're going to run Linux though, Just make sure you get Intel video
instead of any of the proprietary video card models, and run, don't walk
away from the "Selectable Graphics" travesty.

[1]
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/14/imac_hard_drive_replacement_woes/

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com