[TriLUG] Linksys reboot

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue May 17 22:03:33 EDT 2011

On Tue, 17 May 2011, Brian McCullough wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have a friend who owns a Linksys WRT54G v5 with DD-WRT (
> is that the correct spelling? ) and he has been having a
> problem recently with it needing frequent ( more than one
> a day ) reboots.  In the past, it has given good service
> with reboots less than once a week.
>
> Is this something that this model is known for,

I have mine (early series wrt54g with the larger memory)
running for years without a reboot (native linksys code and
dd-WRT). You do need a UPS (or equivalent power line
filter), otherwise I've had to reboot mine a couple of times
a day (at least out in a field - not tried them at home
without a UPS).

> is it possibly a heating issue ( I suggested that one ),

mine are just warm (but not hot) to the touch. If you think
it's heat, run a fan on them for a day.

Joe