[TriLUG] Macbook Curious

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Wed May 18 06:07:23 EDT 2011

I would like to thank everyone for their input and suggestions.

I get the impression that the Macbooks are great machines, something
that I would consider for myself, but I don't think my mother would be
interested in hacking away with it.  She definitely falls into the
category of "I link Linux because it just works."

The Thinkpad is one that we will definitely look at, but until this
thread probably wouldn't have even come up on the radar screen.  I
hadn't heard of the switchable graphics, either, so I appreciate the
heads up to stay away from it.  I will keep the video in mind.  I had
heard that ATI, at least used to be a problem with Linux, with nVidia
being the big player.  I was recently reading some reviews on some
sandybridge  motherboards and it mentioning that the Intel graphics
worked.  It seems like Linux hardware support from the vendor is
becoming less of an issue, thankfully.