[TriLUG] My Gigabyte dual core PC gameing PC has died...long live the Gigabyte...(dual boot Ubuntu)

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Sat May 21 05:59:18 EDT 2011

A few weeks ago, I was toying with the idea of building a new, super
powered PC for fun.  While I gave up on the idea, I had read a lot of
reviews about the new Intel Sandybridge architecture with the i7 quad
core processors.  I came across several reviews that showed this system
beating all others, including AMD in the majority of the areas.  Coupled
with an SSD, the system had data transfer access timing and rates that
were unbelievable.  The reports were saying that if you get the K
processor, which is "unlocked" that it has been successfully overclocked
to almost 5 GHz with air cooling and remains stable.  It supports the
higher speed DDR3 memories (e.g. 2133) when over clocked and even the
Intel motherboard provides over clocking capability, though not as high
as the others like Asus.  The price tag of the motherboards (newegg) was
around $150 - $200 keeping them in the mid-line region.  All of the
reviews said that unless you are an enthusiast going for a particular
option, there is no sense in going for better.  The boards all support 2
- 3 PCI-express x16 for supporting SLI and Crossfire as well as several
USB 3.0 and lots of other IO with things like dual NIC being common.

If you were on the mailing list a few weeks ago when I asked for local
PC vendors, I received a quote for a similar system.  Without the video
cards that I needed for a special 8 monitor application ($400 each) the
system assembled and purchased was about $1100, putting it in your
target area.