[TriLUG] back up your $HOME

Steve Pinkham steve.pinkham at gmail.com
Fri May 27 10:18:55 EDT 2011

On 05/27/2011 09:43 AM, Igor Partola wrote:
> I have never used rsnapshot, but it sounds a lot like rdiff-backup.
> rdiff-backup is fantastic for backing up MySQL data files, since it
> can store binary deltas of large files. It's like magic.
>
> Igor

rsnapshot is exactly like rdiff-backup except it only does full-file
backups.  If files are exactly the same, it saves space with hard links,
but if they are different by even one byte, it stores the file again.
It's a space-convenience trade-off.  With rsnapshot you have the files
on disk and immediately available, with rdiff-backup you need to access
them with the backup utility.

Duplicity is another option: it's similar to rdiff-backup but made for
"cloud storage" type usage as well as local storage.  It compresses and
encrypts the files before shipping to the storage location.

http://duplicity.nongnu.org/

For local use, there's the deja-dup frontend for duplicity which is
supposed to be the new default backup utility for Ubuntu 11.10.
I've not used it, but what I've heard about it is good, and duplicity
itself is rock solid now.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/deja-dup

--
 | Steven Pinkham, Security Consultant    |
 | http://www.mavensecurity.com           |