[TriLUG] back up your $HOME

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Fri May 27 10:43:08 EDT 2011

On May 27, 2011, at 10:29 AM, Igor Partola wrote:

> I have not used this project, but archfs provides a read-only view of
> rdiff backups: http://code.google.com/p/archfs/ as a FUSE file system.
> This could be the best of both worlds I suppose.

I'd hate to say it, but there is another FOSS OS that is wiping the floor with Linux in this department. Check out OpenIndiana (think "OpenSolaris" and you've got the important parts). They've got this app TimeSlider to keep zfs snapshots running periodically, automatically purging older snapshots when the disk capacity becomes an issue, and they've integrated it nicely with Nautilus for a nice GUI method of looking back in time on your system.

Oh how I wish zfs were license-compatible with the Linux kernel...

-M