[TriLUG] back up your $HOME

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Mon May 30 19:25:48 EDT 2011

One big difference is rsnapshot does not rely on a any time of database to keep track of things.  When I used rdiff-backup with a usb disk, the usb disk would become unmounted sometimes, and the database that rdiff-backup uses would become corrupt.   I'm not opposed to the database *if* you can restore easily without the database.  One con to rsnapshot is that it's based on a pull model not a push model so you make have to boot ssh keys for root on boxes depending on what you are backing up.  But keychain helps secure that a bit.

Matt P.