[TriLUG] Call and urge Perdue to veto H.129 or it becomes law tonight!

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Wed Jun 1 22:34:22 EDT 2011

  I haven't been on in a while! Whew! Sorry I missed this thread. So
here's my 2 cents, although it is a week late.

Based on the discussion, there are 2 key points I think have been missed:

1.Government cannot legislate competition. No government, when getting
involved in the business of its citizens, has ever caused competition
directly.

2.Government cannot legislate technology.

This bill is an example of these 2 principles.

-Roy

On 5/20/11 10:46 AM, Mark Turner wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> H.129, the "Level Playing Field" bill, becomes law at midnight tonight
> unless Governor Perdue vetos it first. If you feel as strongly as I do
> about this issue, please call her office at 919-733-2391 and urge her
> to veto it! You can also email her at governor.office at nc.gov.
>
> Our friend Doc Searls has weighed on on the bill:
> http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/doc/2011/05/17/keep-north-carolinas-broadband-market-free/
>

> Harvard prof Larry Lessig has also weighed in:
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lawrence-lessig/an-open-letter-to-north-c_b_864562.html
>

> And many, many others. Please, add your voice by calling the
> Governor's office and urging veto. It's our last chance.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Roy Vestal
http://rpp.linuxmaniac.net