[TriLUG] Private note - Re: can anyone read a 5.25" floppy disk?

Peter Neilson neilson at windstream.net
Thu Jun 9 06:27:10 EDT 2011

On 06/08/2011 11:05 PM, David Burton wrote:

> In fact, I can even *punch* 8-channel paper tape, but the tape is hard to
> come by these days.

Do you remember how some of the tape was oil-impregnated, to lubricate
the punch? Do you remember the vast amount of write-once--read-once tape
we would use up for some applications. Or even write-once--read-never?
Do you remember buckets overflowing with oily tape and oily chad?

Did you ever wonder what would happen if someone dropped a lit cigar
into a an overflowing bucket of paper tape and other trash?

My father found out.

He picked up the burning bucket and carried it outside, scorching his
thumb in the process.