[TriLUG] Failure of "reply" in Re: Private note - Re: can anyone read a 5.25" floppy disk?

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Jun 9 10:02:04 EDT 2011

I missed most of that too (I turn 40 in Sept).  My first computer was a
C-64 that I received when I was 8 years old, around the time of the Apple
2 (not 2e) and the TRS-80.  Floppy drives were either 480K or 640K, single
sided. I remember when they came out with the 1Mb 5.25" floppies.  The
things developed error sectors like they were going out of style.  Hard
drives were something expensive that only the real BBS operators had and
they were either 5Mb or 10Mb and the size of a shoe box.  Everyone used
modems as there was no Ethernet, not even dial up Internet and if you were
lucky you had one that was 1200 bps.  Compuserve was the big "dial in"
service that ran $6/hour and Qlink, which became AOL hadn't even been
started.  There was the "Free Net" started by CWRU in Cleveland, OH and a
few independent BBS operators and you could log in and play your turn at
community based (text only) adventure games.  In those days you would be
on the phone with your friend and "switch" to data by throwing switches on
your modem and hanging up the phones.  You could launch a terminal program
that would let you chat via type and exchange programs (cracked games
mostly) using protocols like Xmodem, Ymodem, Kermit, or Punter.