[TriLUG] Macbook Curious

Matt Flyer matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Sat Jun 11 13:45:38 EDT 2011

This is a follow up on a thread I started a few weeks ago where my
mother's PC looked like it was dying.  It finally died on Thursday.
Based upon the responses from Trilug and some of my mother's coworkers
experience, my mother decided to get a Macbook.  The choice came down to
a Thinkpad with Windows plus have me install Linux on it, a Toshiba that
was on sale with Windows and have me install Linux or the Mac.  The Mac
won, so we can score -1 more for Windows' official market share.  I will
say, though, that I am surprised at how much the thing's cost.  This
one, a 15" with the quad core i7, 4 gig of memory, and the 7200 rpm
drive plus carry case, mouse, and a couple more additions like extra
warranty and a years worth of classes and the thing was almost $3k, ouch!