[TriLUG] Potential Short Term Contract Help Needed

David Winfield davidwinfield at kayser-roth.com
Wed Jun 22 10:53:38 EDT 2011

Hello All,
My company has made the jump into linux with one of our latest projects
-  the first of two 3-node Oracle RAC implementations.  Pior to this
project we've been mostly a Windows/mainframe shop.  There are 3 of us
on this project, and while we all have linux/unix in our backgrounds (in
varying degrees) there is a fair amount of rust to bang off for each of
us.

We're currently wrestling with attempts to properly bond 3 sets of nic
interfaces to a Cisco Gb switch.  The switch has a vlan for public, a
vlan for the private intra-node interconnect, and one for the san
storage (EMC vnxe 3100).  We suspect our current troubles are with the
switch configuration, and we'll be spending the next day working through
that.  Time is becoming tight for this project so if our efforts come up
short we'll want to explore getting someone in to help us correctly
configure the 3 bond interfaces.  Below I'll call out the tech specs of
the implementation and a description of the ideal candidates for the
help we're needing.  We'd be looking for help within the next week or
so, but if you have the skills listed below and are available later we'd
still like to hear from you because, as I mentioned, we're new on this
platform so I can envision us needing some assistance with other things
in the future as well.

Implementation:
=============
-3 HP DL380 single socket 6 core machines with 2 local hard drives and 2
4-port nics with a separate dedicated ilo port.
 The intent is to create 3 bonds (one to participate within each vlan
mentioned below).  Each node has 24gb ram.  We've created bonds already,
but they suffered 40% packet loss.

-Operating System is Oracle Enterprise Linux version5 patch6 64bit
(based on Red Hat's OS).

-1 EMC vnxe 3100 iscsi san with 15 luns exposed to the 3 nodes above.

-1 cisco 48-port gb eth switch configured with 3 vlans: one for public,
one for private, one for storage.

-Oracle RAC 11gR2 w/Oracle's Clusterware Using Oracle's ASM for lun/disk
management.

Ideal Candidate Experience:
=====================
- The most ideal candidate would have experience as a linux admin with
strong linux networking skills.  Decent Cisco networking skills in
adddition to the Linux Admin skillset would be a STRONG plus.  EMC San
experience is also a plus.

- Availability over the next week or two would be needed.  I would think
a day or two would be adequate.

- Abiltiy to travel to Burlington, NC (about 30-45 minutes from RTP
right off I-85).

We currently have no relationship with a linux consultant so, again, if
you aren't available during the next week or two but do match well with
the skillset described above please feel free to send us your
information as we may well have future needs.   Please provide your
contact info and your required reimbursement rate to
davidwinfield at kayser-roth.com .

Thanks in advance,
David Winfield
Oracle DBA & Systems Engineer