[TriLUG] Home DNS

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Wed Jun 22 17:27:38 EDT 2011

On Jun 22, 2011, at 2:37 PM, David Burton wrote:
> Most folks use nameservers run by whoever hosts their web site.  A problem
> with that is that if you move your web site hosting elsewhere, you probably
> lose your nameservers... which makes it hard to move your web hosting...

It's actually exceedingly easy to move from one web hosting provider to another if all you need to move with it is DNS.

As long as you're not changing registrars. That can get hairy.

> By using independent nameservers (zoneedit), you get complete control over
> your nameservers.

You get *more* control, but not total control.

The only way to have total control is to run your own nameserver. Which as it turns out is pretty easy to do. But there isn't a need in most cases.

>  So if your hosting service goes flakey, you can change
> your DNS info to point to a different hosting service without even having a
> conversation with the flakey company.

You can already do that without having a conversation with the flaky company. I think you're mixing up registrars with DNS providers. Moving from one hosting service to another, in terms of DNS, is pretty straightforward. I just went through changing my own DNS a couple of weeks ago since my old friends at everydns.net have sold out to a parent company that I'm not interested in working with.

-M