[TriLUG] Home DNS

David Burton ncdave4life at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 17:42:31 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Magnus <magnus at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2011, at 2:37 PM, David Burton wrote:
> >  So if your hosting service goes flakey, you can change
> > your DNS info to point to a different hosting service without even having
> > conversation with the flakey company.
>
> You can already do that without having a conversation with the flaky
> company. I think you're mixing up registrars with DNS providers. Moving from
> one hosting service to another, in terms of DNS, is pretty straightforward.
> I just went through changing my own DNS a couple of weeks ago since my old
> friends at everydns.net have sold out to a parent company that I'm not
> interested in working with.

If you don't have access to the DNS (because it is run by a hosting company
that has gone flakey or with whom you're feuding), then the only way to move
to a different hosting service is to change your entry at the registrar to
point to a different DNS.  But that can be sticky: the new DNS folks
typically want to see that the registrar's entry for the domain is
alreadypointing to them
before they'll set up their DNS entries for your domain, so a significant
outage is probably unavoidable during the transition.

That problem goes away when you have your DNS elsewhere, like at ZoneEdit.
 You don't have to do anything with the registrar, since you're still using
the same nameservers.  You just log in at zoneedit and change the A records
to point to the new hosting service.  No hassle, and no outage.

Dave