[TriLUG] slight OT: multi-band cell booster

Heath Roberts htroberts at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 12:22:43 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:40 PM, David M. <turnpike420 at gmail.com> wrote:

> My CEO has a place in Martha's Vineyard which is apparently fairly remote.
> He has both AT&T And Verizon 3G type connectivity at his house but the
> signals are weak.  He is looking to install a booster.  I presume this is
> something you aim at the tower and it will amplify the signal locally
> around
> the house.  He mentioned something by Wilson Electronics having a kit maybe
> available at Radio Shack.  What are your experiences with these type
> devies?  Are there any must have or must avoid boosters?  What he seeks
> should have GSM and CDMA capability to cover both providers.  Suggestions
> appreciated, thanks!

The Wilson repeaters are pretty good for consumer devices. I don't think you
can get them at RS, but the company does sell them directly, and there are
multi-band models.

Since you mentioned AT&T, if he has decent broadband, I would also (in
addition to the repeater) consider buying one of their femtocells.

--
Heath Roberts
htroberts at gmail.com