[TriLUG] TriLUG Digest, Vol 1364, Issue 1

Stephen Boyte smylin.stephen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 18:34:52 EDT 2011

> To be clear SLES is the dom0 or domU? What is the other one?
> My first thought would be to try running it under paravirtualization
> instead of hardware-supported virtualization. The paravirt hardware is
> more performant than the emulated hardware. As an added bonus you might
> bet better disk performance as well.
> One or two years ago I had problems where paravm domU nics came up with
> tcp segmentation offload on (or after migrating between hosts). This
> drastically cut down on performance, but everything was speedy once I
> turned it off. I believe that this has been fixed, but if you're having
> problems with your paravm I would look at the output of ethtool -k.
> Hope that helps,
> Jack

Actually, SLES was being used as both dom0 and domU.  At first, I was
running with full-virt and then by the time the reply to my request had
come, I had already switched to para-virt.  My results via pra-virt are
exactly as you have described.  I am able to pick up 1Gbs nics
automatically.  This is puts me closer to where I want to be and livable for
the time being.  I am still looking for any ideas on achieving the link as a
10Gbs connection, though.

Regards,
Stephen