[TriLUG] [OT] using public IP addresses or private addresses for the DMZ

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Fri Jul 8 16:48:21 EDT 2011

Like another person said, you can easily get more than one host behind a single IP address (e.g. on different ports) with #2.  For instance you can have one box serve port 80 and another port 443 with just a couple firewall NAT rules.  Neither one is inherently more secure than the other though.  #2 gives you more flexibility with a few caveats.

One downside of the NAT approach is you have to watch for protocols passing IP addresses in band that the firewall's stateful inspection/fixup doesn't or can't know about and translate.  By using #1 you avoid that.  With #2 I have on occasion had to add aliased interfaces on the internal/NATted host with the public IP address, to trick an ill-behaving app into thinking it really was on the public IP address (to catch self references), in addition to its usual internal one.  Messy for troubleshooting.

Nobody these days typically has public IP addresses to burn, but if you truly do, avoiding NAT and doing straight firewalling to a DMZ can save you some operational headaches.

Dave