[TriLUG] Anyone here know much about kernel programming?

Derek Linz chapelhilllaptopshop at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:42:20 EDT 2011

I'm using btrfs on this machine, and I definitely caution against it for
the time being. The performance is amazing (I have compress=lzo
on),  but the frequency of fatal bugs is way too high right now.

Acronis backup and recovery workstation for Linux will do live whole-
disk backups, but it does require kernel modules, and the most recent
kernel it will build on is 2.6.29...or 2.6.31, somewhere in there. It's also
quite expensive.

There is a non-fuse based zfs project for linux, but last I saw it wasn't
very far along.

On Monday, July 11, 2011 06:40:19 PM Len Boyle wrote:
> No matter what the filesystem one does have to worry about open
files and a
> consistent view of data. The application can have data in memory
that it
> only writes to disk at app shutdown time. Sometimes this may
require
> working with multiple apps across multiple systems.
 Some apps have a
> command to generate a  consistent view on disk. Some apps have
a command to
> generate a backup stream of data.
> For example Oracle Rman command.
>
> If you were using Solaris or Freebsd you could look at zfs. I am not
sure if
> Open Solaris is still an option. One group did fork off a copy.

> There is also Oracle's  btrfs. See
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

On Behalf