[TriLUG] OT: Wireless Hotspot weekly rental?

P L Charles Fischer cfischer at modernferrotype.com
Fri Jul 15 10:25:49 EDT 2011

I needed two weeks of Internet access at my mother's house in Kentucky
early this month.  After a bit of research I went with Virgin Mobile.  I
got a MiFi hotspot and paid $50 for a month of unlimited* access.  When
it worked I got about 1mbps of download and about 0.2mbps of upload.
Not too bad.  The problem was it went down twice in the two weeks.  Once
was a broad outage that lasted about 6 hours.  The other happened when
Virgin Mobile turned me off for over use.  A glitch in their system said
I had used 4,194,304 megabytes in about a week.  The first help desk
person did not catch the problem, so after saying it would all be fixed
in 4 hours (network update time), it was still not working.  The next
help desk person did find the problem and reset my account to zero bytes
transferred.  Four hours later I had Internet.

On the plus side, the MiFi plus my Xoom made for a good GPS.  The speed
was good enough to do one Internet task at a time (do not do a software
update while trying to surf the web).  It beat finding public hot spots
by a mile (while 2.5 miles from my mom's house).

In summary the MiFi hotspot worked well.  I think I may have gotten
unlucky about the dropped service.  I was about to return it, but have
decided to keep it.

Later,
Charles Fischer

* unlimited is not really true.  It is unlimited for the first 2.5GB.
After that you get throttled to about one fourth speed.