[TriLUG] (repost) Pretty-OT: Question for GPL knowledgeable folks

Jack Hill jackhill at jackhill.us
Sat Jul 16 16:45:05 EDT 2011

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:34:59 -0400
Joel James Adamson <joeljamesadamson at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Brian Henning" <lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com> writes:
>
> > My cause for pondering is thus.  If I include the text of the GPL in
> > my port, include prominent credit to the current and past
> > maintainers, and make source code easily available, is the GPL
> > satisfied
>
> AFAIK that would violate the GPLv3.  It might not violate the GPLv2.
>
> In my experience Peter Brown, Richard Stallman and Bradley Kuhn are
> all quite approachable and helpful, so you should probably take your
> question straight to the FSF.  They've helped me a lot with similar
> questions.

++ for asking actual knowledgeable people. I might also be useful to
talk to the bzflag developers since they are the copyright holders on
the work and the ones that could be upset if you violate their licence.

At least at some point in time, Microsoft's developer agreement
specifically forbade LGPL, GPL, or AGPL software (all version three,
but the listed licences aren't the only ones excluded.).*

If I'm not mistaken bzflag is actually under the LGPL v.2.1 not the GPL.

Jack

* http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/windows-phone-gpl-ban/