[TriLUG] help desk / trouble ticket software

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Wed Jul 20 10:28:58 EDT 2011

On 07/20/2011 12:25 AM, Matt Pusateri wrote:
> But it is hideous to use and admin.  Talk about dated UI design!

What's the latest version you've used? Perl's CPAN uses version 3.8 and
I don't find the UI to be that dated:

https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=HTML-Template

The the new 4.0 seems even nicer:
http://bestpractical.com/rt/screenshots.html

> Couple all that with a software package that has it's own repo b/c it's such a pain to get dependencies right, all I can say is ugh!

That's kind of par for the course when you want a server application
that can run on lots of different OSes, lots of different database
backends and lots of different web servers.

I don't remember the last time I installed RT, but from looking at the
new documentation it seems to be quite easy to do. Now that might not be
quite real life, but I'd try it before bashing RT because it might have
been harder to install in the past.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP