[TriLUG] (repost) Pretty-OT: Question for GPL knowledgeable folks

Shane O. shaneodonnell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 13:38:37 EDT 2011

Keep in mind that the FSF folks can share their experience and
interpretation of the GPL language, but that in many cases, there's no right
answer, because no legal precedent has been set.  In my experience, I've
found FSF opinions on GPL licensing questions to be VERY conservative, and
many aspects of their opinions are very quickly argued or dismissed by less
biased attorneys.

But all of that is just attorney jaw-flapping at $120+ an hour...

I've found it helpful to constantly remind myself of a few things around
open source licensing questions:

   - When you get an opinion/advice from someone, consider their
   motivations.
   - Remember who has grounds to contest your usage and application of the
   terms of the GPL -- usually just the copyright holders and recipients of
   your derivative work.
   - And remember that "doing the right thing" goes a long way, so if you
   accidentally screw up some of the mechanics, you'll often find willingness
   to help you get right, versus punishment for not being exact.

And IANAL, so YMMV -

Shane O.