[TriLUG] Computer stores

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at att.net
Thu Jul 21 08:10:29 EDT 2011

On 07/20/2011 08:53 PM, Magnus wrote:
> Fair warning, this is one of those stores that treats its customers with great suspicion on the way out. If you are disinclined to consent to a bag search on the way out, you may well be in for a serious incident.

Another feature of shopping at TigerDirect is that their prices in ads -
and even in the store - can be misleading.   They are crazy for rebates,
primarily the mail-in kind that many people ignore or forget about.

I purchased an ATX power supply there about a year and a half ago.  They
charged me $25 more at the register, said there was a mail-in rebate for
$25 and handed me the 3-foot long receipt/form.  When I asked why the
sign on the shelf didn't mention that it included a rebate, the cashier
pretended not to understand and gave a meaningless answer.

I could have refused the purchase, but I wanted the power supply more.
I did check the sign again on the way out, and there was no mention that
the price included a mail-in rebate.  It's not worth the confusion and
frustration to me.  I haven't been back.

   Scott C.