[TriLUG] Computer stores]

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Jul 21 09:38:36 EDT 2011

This reminds me of a thread I was reading in a forum not too long ago.
Apparently a woman with a concealed carry license was at a Costco, which
is also famous for receipt checks.  The overly zealous employee started
insisting on checking this woman's purse.  The woman, who had a .45
automatic in it handed it over to the clerk.  The clerk opened it, saw the
gun, and got a very wide eyed, frightened look on her face.  At this
point, the lady took per purse back, said, "I have a permit" and walked
out.

This prompted the discussion with the conclusion that even receipt
checking constitutes detainment without probable cause and that a store
employee, even a manager, not being a law enforcement officer, can not
detain you.  So, yes, the next time that insist on checking your receipt,
you can say "No thank you" and keep walking.

"Carl Crider" <c.crider at gmail.com> wrote:

I remember that thread! I looked into it after dealing with the stupid
receipt checking, and
a rude employee. Felt like I was being profiled at this place every
time I went there.

NC General Statute 14-72

In NC, the receipt check is voluntary. The store has to have probable
cause that
you have stolen something in order to detain, or stop you.
Next time you hear, "Can I see your receipt?"; simply reply, "No thank you"

BTW: I have no input on where to get parts, unless its small parts from
Intrex.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Magnus <magnus at trilug.org> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2011, at 5:53 PM, Michael Kimsal wrote:
>
>> Tigerdirect/compusa?
>
> Fair warning, this is one of those stores that treats its customers with
great suspicion on the way out. If you are disinclined to consent to a
bag search on the way out, you may well be in for a serious incident.