[TriLUG] Computer stores]

matt at noway2.thruhere.net matt at noway2.thruhere.net
Thu Jul 21 10:19:56 EDT 2011

With respect to the brick and mortar stores, if they have what I want in
stock, I will gladly buy it from them and actually prefer to do so.  The
physical stores cost more, but in exchange they offer the convenience of
having it now.  Before I go driving around town, I like to know that they
have it in stock, which is where a good website is invaluable.

If I am going to have to order it from somewhere, why would I order it
through a store at full retail pricing when I can order it elsewhere for
less.   In my experience, this is a real problem with books and computer
stores both.

I forget how many times I would go to Borders looking for something, only
to be told that they don't have it but would gladly order it and pick it
up at the store for a price that was 30% higher than I could get it from
Amazon in the same amount of time, have it shipped to my house, and avoid
paying sales tax.

Yes, the stores can only carry so much merchandise on hand, and they
orient themselves towards their average customer, which can be a problem
when you are more of a niche shopper.