[TriLUG] Computer stores]

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Thu Jul 21 11:46:06 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Chris Merrill
<chris at webperformance.com> wrote:

> Frankly, I surprised Intrex is still in business...or any other small, local
> computer store.  Tough business.

Disclaimer: I have no insider knowledge of Intrex; this is
speculation. I believe it is informed speculation, however.

Bike shops and car dealerships both have pretty thin margins on what
they're best known for selling--bikes and cars. They make up for it
with their service departments. I'd be willing to bet Intrex is
basically the same.

This also means that we--people who can diagnose a failing drive or
stick of RAM and replace it on our own--are not their target audience.
I'm not saying we shouldn't shop there--they're a resource I'd like to
keep around, too. Just don't be surprised when they don't match your
expectations.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal Palmer