[TriLUG] Computer stores]

Brian Henning bhenning at pineinst.com
Thu Jul 21 12:11:27 EDT 2011

I'd like to pipe up on this thread as well, on the "I knew exactly what I wanted and Intrex didn't have it" idea.

So what?

Okay.  Yes, there are times when you really do need to consider a particular brand of device with particular specifications.  I can imagine someone building a HA platform wouldn't want a RAID made up of "brand-X" hard drives.  Or if you're dead-set on squeezing out every single ounce of performance from a rig, you'd probably want *exactly* this or that.

But how much more often is a hard drive just a hard drive?  They might not have your favorite brand or exact list of specifications, but I bet they have something close, and I bet it's at a decent price and will get your job done.

Their value-add in the tangibles market is "have it now" combined with "non-ridiculous markups."

Anyway, that's my $0.02!

~B