[TriLUG] Computer stores] - Disk failures

Jimmy Dorff jdorff at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jul 28 14:55:35 EDT 2011

I was at Dell Storage Forum a couple months ago. One interesting note
from EqualLogic. They said they "stress test" each new drive for 4
weeks. They said that the drives which survive the 4 week test generally
last much better in the field. This is the infant mortality phenomenon
mentioned in the google study of course. I think a ~month of testing was
an interesting idea, which one could apply to their own hardware.

Along those lines, has anyone played with the "breakin" linux distro for
hardware testing ?

http://advancedclustering.com/software/breakin.html

-Jimmy