[TriLUG] hp laptop power problem

Derek Linz chapelhilllaptopshop at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 23:05:24 EDT 2011

Given the model it is, it's equally likely that it's a faulty board caused by
a Nvidia graphics chip. If there's a nvidia logo on the machine, there's
nothing that can make repairing it a good idea.

Take a quick glance at the class action lawsuit Nvidia settled with
hp/dell/many customers: http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

The claims period is long over, unfortunately, but it's good to be aware of.

+1 to a sales-tax-free replacement.

Oh and please, please don't buy another HP.

"ASUS and Toshiba come out on top. With 3 year malfunction rates forecast to
be under 16%, laptops from these two manufacturers are nearly 40% more
reliable than Hewlett-Packard, the worst performer in our study. Sony and
Apple also performed better than the average.

Square Trade Report on Laptop Reliability

-Derek