[TriLUG] Linux community link building campaign?

Jeremy Davis jeremydavis at jeremydavis.biz
Sat Aug 6 17:58:29 EDT 2011

I read somewhere the linux.org site is not an official site for Linux. If I
am not mistaken the linuxfoundation.org and linux.com sites are official.

In general, more web traffic equals more funds raised, thru sponsorship and
thru ads on the site if any. Raised awareness of what open source is would
be a benefit. For years I believed anything free was some kind of malware.

I am not sure which sites would be best to promote. The first step would be
to nominate a few for discussion and choose the best one. With the patent
troll issues that seem to be lighting up, some advocacy sites that support
the open source point of view would be a good recommendation. Last I heard
Microsoft is making $15 per Android activation.

Pushing the linux foundation site up in rank would probably be a surefire
good thing. 250,000 links seems like a reachable target for a large and
vibrant tech community. About 100000 per month visit the linux.com site as
it is.

I have read where SEO companies charge from $10000 to $200000 per month to
build backlinks. After shopping around most charge $10000 to $12000 monthly
locally.

Popular open source sites optimize well naturally because of the communities
surrounding them. Google's algorithm is designed to serve the community I
believe. Heightened awareness and targeted focus would only make it better.

I am willing to volunteer time into something like this if it makes sense.
Feedback is welcome.