[TriLUG] Portable Linux (Bootable USB Flash Drive) Creation?

Jeremy Davis jeremydavis at jeremydavis.biz
Mon Aug 22 12:01:58 EDT 2011

I am interested to hear the outcome as well. I believe Puppy Linux or Damn
Small Linux does something like this. I read about it a long time ago so not
sure.
On Aug 22, 2011 11:36 AM, "Reginald Reed" <reginald.reed at gmail.com> wrote:
> Scott,
>
> I've never done what you are asking for, but my first thought would be
> to simply treat the USB device as a regular disk. Whatever you come
> up with, please share it with the group, I'm at least one person
> interested in the outcome.
>
> --Reggie
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Scott Thomas <chemikalguy at yahoo.com>
wrote:
>> Can someone point me in the right direction on creation of a bootable USB
flash drive Linux distro? I've used the Fedora USB creation software, and
LiLi and LiveUSB Creator, but they use the LiveCD versions of the distros,
so when you boot the flash drive, it 'thinks' it's running from a liveCD, so
you can't install software, etc. I want a distro I can install to a usb
flash drive, drop in my pocket, and use it anywhere I go, being able to save
files, install software, etc.