[TriLUG] Outside In

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Aug 24 12:51:24 EDT 2011

This was sent to the steering list... forwarding on for a wider
distribution...

--

I'm an independent filmmaker (and former IT professional) in Greensboro and we are having an event at the IMAX Theater in Raleigh for the non-profit IMAX film "Outside In". I don't know a ton of people in Raleigh and as the film's production is very tech heavy, it was suggested by one of our supporters that your group might be interested.

The film is non-profit so that the materials and media used in the film creation can be freely distributed upon the film's release. The first one minute of footage went viral this spring with over 3.2 Million views and featured on Slashdot, Gizmodo, Wired, IO9.com and much more.

The film website is here: http://www.outsideinthemovie.com/ and the event invite is here: http://event.pingg.com/OutsideInMarbles

ABOUT THE FILM:

One man, on custom home built computers in a basement studio, has embarked on one of the most ambitious DIY projects yet: to create a groundbreaking film for IMAX and other giant screen theaters, using real photographs, animated to full motion at 13 times HiDef resolution.

Over 1 million photographs from space missions and historical sources (many worked on by online, volunteer collaborators) will be used in the film, each frame of which is 1 gigabyte -- at 24 frames per second that's over 65 Terabytes for the final film.

Outside In will take audiences on a mind-blowing journey from the Big Bang through space and time, set to powerful music from Ferry Corsten, DJ Tiesto, William Orbit and more. Utilizing real photographs from humanity's space mission and historical sources with contributions from dedicated amateur image processors from the global online community, the film is a unique creation of history, technology, music and science.

Like its inspiration, "2001: A Space Odyssey", Outside In aims to create the ultimate trip for audiences.  Like the 28 Apollo astronauts who left Earth on a journey to another world, so too will audiences be able to change their perspectives by seeing our home planet from space -- from the Outside In.

Outside In aims for a global distribution late 2012 for IMAX and giant screen theaters, planetariums, museums and select 4K digital cinemas. As a non-profit film created from many thousands of public domain sources, Outside In will share the raw materials used in the film at its release in order to spark more works using the amazing resources brought home to earth from our exploration of space.

Thanks,

Stephen van Vuuren (stephen at sv2studios.com)

--