[TriLUG] Redhat is Moving

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Sat Aug 27 21:35:08 EDT 2011

On Aug 27, 2011, at 9:29 PM, John Riselvato wrote:

> Doesn't that seem a little bit off though? I mean we have developed as a
> community together, and because a move we are telling people if its not
> working for you we don't need you in our LUG, go start your own. Maybe I am
> reading this wrong but Living in chapel hill, it didn't really make me feel
> part of the Linux user GROUP, that the Trilug has.

You're reacting to something I never said.

In my few short years living back in Philadelphia after the dot com bubble burst, I was delighted to find a number of healthy LUGs surviving and thriving inside of a large sprawling geographical region. Some of them were attended by less than 10 people on average, and yet those were in some cases the most informative meetings.

We're not coming from one city. We're coming from a number of different cities and counties that are relatively close to each other. Each of those cities can sustain one or more LUGs. And nothing precludes people from Chapel Hill from driving to Raleigh for a LUG meeting, even if they have their own LUG (assuming we're at least courteous enough to stagger the meetings out over the calendar so as not to make people choose between two meetings on one night).

You're not committing to a monogamous relationship here. If your needs are better served by a more local LUG, then start one. You'll get a lot of people that can't or won't for whatever reason travel the distance to TriLUG meetings. But you can still go to TriLUG meetings, too.

Magnus