[TriLUG] How young is too young for linux-ish training?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Aug 31 08:38:01 EDT 2011

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011, Paul G. Szabady wrote:

> I would love to begin teaching him some basic html or
> maybe even some basic programming, but I'm stumped.  How
> and where to begin?  Has anyone ever run into this type of
> issue before?

just about all of us on this list must have been like this
when we were kids. None of our parents had any idea about
what we were interested in.

> And/Or does anyone have any suggestions on where to begin?

anywhere, it doesn't matter where. blunder away. Be prepared
to not now know what you're doing. How many fathers who
become soccer coaches for young kids know anything about
soccer? The kid will figure out what works and what doesn't
and will be glad of the bits that work. Go learn html
yourself, if you don't know it. Then teach him python.
Anyone on this list is capable of learning python to a level
that will keep a young kid entertained. By the time he wants
to learn more, you will have learned django, or he will have
figured out how to learn it himself.

> I don't want to push him into something that would cause
> resentment.

banging on Dad for a year to show him how to make a webpage
doesn't sound like pushing to me.

> If there's a way to "learn" together, I would love to have
> special papa/grandson time if there are any classes that
> we could attend.

Your job is to provide resources, whether it be a book or a
person to talk to. You can teach him, but that's not
neccessarily your job. You might serve better by getting out
of the way and pointing him in the right direction. I
learned electronics and ham radio when I was a kid from an
engineer at the local TV station. who my mother found
through her tennis club.

Joe