[TriLUG] How young is too young for linux-ish training?

Joel J. Adamson joeljamesadamson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:59:27 EDT 2011

"Paul G. Szabady" <paul at thyservice.com> writes:

> Any/All thoughts are welcome!

I plan on teaching my son basic programming by the time he's reading
well, which I expect to be about a year from now (by age 6).  He's
already interested in it, since he sees me doing it, and he loves
building things.  I don't know anything about hardware, but he's already
showing interest.  Kids *learn*, they just do it; it's amazing and
inspiring.

One thing you shouldn't do is teach a kid to use Windows for "using the
computer", and then "teach Linux" for programming or web design
purposes.  Your subject line makes it sound like there might be some
kind of a distinction.  I say if a kid can use a computer, there's no
reason he shouldn't use free software.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson	-- http://www.unc.edu/~adamsonj