[TriLUG] How young is too young for linux-ish training?

Michael Peters mpeters at plusthree.com
Wed Aug 31 09:34:24 EDT 2011

On 08/30/2011 10:33 PM, Paul G. Szabady wrote:

> My 7 year-old grandson has been asking me for close to a year to teach
> him to build a website. Not knowing how to go about teaching someone
> that young, I finally just put up a site for him. He loved it for about
> a week, then started asking me to show him how to make changes. I would
> love to begin teaching him some basic html or maybe even some basic
> programming, but I'm stumped.

If he's interested in learning how to build a web site, then start from
there. Give him a book on HTML (HTML for Dummies is a really good intro
for non-programmers about HTML and markup languages in general).

If he wants to learn more after that I'd go with Javascript. He already
has a runtime in his browser and he can immediately see results and
changes just by hitting reload. Javascript has it's warts, but most of
it is pretty simple and would serve as a good introduction to other
languages with similar syntax and concepts like C, Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP