[TriLUG] Older Programming books vs Modern Programming books

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 10:26:08 EDT 2011

I learned initially on a pair of books published in the early 80s and late
70s (BASIC <goog_195196828> (my blog about
it)<http://antipaucity.com/2011/02/10/firsts-programming/>
).

The plethora of today's languages/platofrms/frameworks/etc, and books on
those, is almost disturbing: walking into a favorite bookstore is like being
bombarded with dozens of new terms, publishers, and authors.

It used to be easy to tell folks to look at SAMS or QUE publishing (hated
the quality of the bindings (and most of the writing) in Sybex texts). BUt I
find it's not even blanket-statement-safe to recommend O'Reilly anymore :(

There are certainly still solid books out now on programming and
development, but *finding* them is a none-too-trivial task too often.

Even now I have some not-as-good-as-I-expected books on my shelves because
I'm a little embarrassed I spent the money on them and don't want to
throw/give them away because of it.

WMM

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 01:23, John Riselvato <jdriselvato at gmail.com> wrote:

> So recently i have gotten really into 6502 Microprocessor and Assembly
> code.
> I found 3 great sources for this topic:
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/55357077/Visible-Computer-6502
>
> ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/documentation/programming/6502assembly/6502%20Assembly%20Language%20Programming.pdf
>
> http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/index/index.php?author=Richard+Mansfield
> //This
> was actually published in Greensboro, North Carolina. Go figure :D
> As I look through these older books I find my self more interested,
> learning
> more and it actually explains with the correct amount of detail cleaning up
> any misunderstandings.
> I would think because information back then was so limited on these topics
> they would be harder to write about and understand.
> Now on the other hand I open up a book like
> http://www.amazon.com/C-Game-Programmers-Development/dp/1584504528 C++ for
> Game Programmers and I am like gezz.. Can this get any more boring...
> My question is have any of you ever experienced this same problem were you
> wish more modern books had the same feel as older programming books?
> It could also be at the moment I am really into the 6502 topic and I am
> willing to learn more. but i mean I have been at my computer since 11 and
> its now 1:20ish, I still want to keep going with my learning.
>
> --
> "Its the Othello of programming languages: a minute to learn, a lifetime to
> master" - mwn3d (RosettaCode irc)
>
> "A programmer will eventually tell you to use Mac OSX or Linux. If the
> programmer likes fonts and typography, they'll tell you to get a Mac OSX
> computer. If they like control and have a huge beard, they'll tell you to
> install Linux." - Learn Python The Hard Way [free]
> eBook<http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/index.html#>
> --
> This message was sent to: Warren <volcimaster at gmail.com>
> TriLUG FAQ          :