[TriLUG] How young is too young for linux-ish training?

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sun Sep 4 21:39:41 EDT 2011

My son started playing with linux when he was 3. He's getting to the
point now he's comfortable editing conf files, he's teaching himself a
little scripting and wants to learn html as well. He's 11. My girls
enjoy using linux, but aren't really into the scripting side. :)

If he can handle it, teach him. Let him enjoy it. I would suggest one of
the "HTML for Dummies" and explain to him it's a beginners book, that's
why they named it that way, or something like that. That way he can go
at his own pace.

Most importantly, and you've probably know being a granddad, let him
show off. I've found that pushes my son more and more. He's already
learned how to use wine, and he's doing "tech support" for some of his
friends.

-Roy

On 8/31/11 12:30 PM, Brian Henning wrote:
> If you didn't play recordings of RMS and Linus Torvalds to him in the womb,
> you're already behind!

Roy Vestal
http://rpp.linuxmaniac.net
   .-.