[TriLUG] reboot - go to grub menu, or restart kernel?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Sep 9 20:29:52 EDT 2011

I have a laptop running Linux Mint Debian Edition (basically Debian
"testing" with some special green sauce added).

I have noticed that when I run "sudo reboot" at a command prompt, it
goes through all of the shutting down motions, and then instead of
flashing the BIOS screen for a second and going to the GRUB menu, it
starts booting the same kernel that was running before.

Specifically, after the final "shutting down" message, it does not go to
the BIOS screen.  Instead, it does not even clear the screen.  The
cursor goes back to the top, and it prints "loading..." (overlaid on top
of the existing text) as it loads the kernel and initramfs.  Then I get
a prompt for my LUKS-encrypted hard disk.

Has there been some change recently where "reboot" does not let you
select your kernel any more?  Does it just restart the existing kernel?

Actually, thinking about it more... the word "loading..." is shown while
it loads the kernel and initramfs, so maybe it is running GRUB is some
sort of very quick auto-selection kind of way.

Thoughts?

--
# ɹǝʇɹoԀ uɐl∀