[TriLUG] Best O/S for a Linux Router/Firewall?

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Fri Sep 9 21:02:30 EDT 2011

On Sep 9, 2011, at 8:50 PM, Kevin Otte wrote:

> This does not meet one of his requirements:
>
> http://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Is_there_IPv6_support_available
> "There is currently no IPv6 support available in stable releases"

As I understand things, 2.0 while not shown as stable, is quite stable and the code base that was frozen is now unfrozen.  So I would expect 2.0 to release soon, and IPV6 support would be available in the mainline code.  That's not saying that you won't have to do a a slight bit extra work to get IPV6, but it doesn't mean it's a show stopper.

The trouble I had with pfsense, was that I wanted to use it to bind DNS with views and that couldn't be done.  Also some terms they use in the UI, have been dumbed down for the common computer illiterate man, and made things more confusing for me.  But pfsense has always had good marks from  what I've heard.

Matt P.