[TriLUG] Associate physical PCI slot with lspci?

Ron Kelley rkelleyrtp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 07:41:45 EDT 2011

Thanks for all the replies, and sorry it has taken so long to get back with a follow-up.

I tried the suggestions below and still can't get what I want.  The "pci_slot" module is not available in the CentOS 5.7 release (or at least, not that I can find).  Per the lspci man page, the Verbose Output format ("-vmm") option should produce some output with the Physical Slot identifier, but that is not available on my servers.  Example:

[root at server1 ~]# lspci -vmm -s 00:600
Slot:   06:00.0
Class:  Ethernet controller
Vendor: Intel Corporation
Device: 82599EB 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection
SVendor:        Intel Corporation
SDevice:        Ethernet Server Adapter X520-2
Rev:    01

Slot:   06:00.1
Class:  Ethernet controller
Vendor: Intel Corporation
Device: 82599EB 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection
SVendor:        Intel Corporation
SDevice:        Ethernet Server Adapter X520-2
Rev:    01

It turns out the physical card was having problems in the server (it *was* in the right slot).  After replacing the card, I now see x8 support (notice the LnkSta line below):
[root at server1 ~]# lspci -vv -s06:00
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82599EB 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+ Network Connection (rev 01)
 <snip>
        Capabilities: [a0] Express (v2) Endpoint, MSI 00
                DevCap: MaxPayload 512 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <512ns, L1 <64us
                        ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE+ FLReset+
                DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
                        RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop+ FLReset-
                        MaxPayload 256 bytes, MaxReadReq 512 bytes
                DevSta: CorrErr+ UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq+ AuxPwr- TransPend-
                LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x8, ASPM L0s, Latency L0 unlimited, L1 <16us
                        ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-
                LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk-
                        ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-
                LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x8, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
                DevCap2: Completion Timeout: Range ABCD, TimeoutDis+
                DevCtl2: Completion Timeout: 50us to 50ms, TimeoutDis-
                LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-, Selectable De-emphasis: -6dB
                         Transmit Margin: Normal Operating Range, EnterModifiedCompliance- ComplianceSOS-
                         Compliance De-emphasis: -6dB
                LnkSta2: Current De-emphasis Level: -6dB
<snip>
        Kernel driver in use: ixgbe
        Kernel modules: ixgbe

Thanks again to everyone who took time to reply.

Ron Kelley
rkelleyrtp at gmail.com