[TriLUG] Slow hard drive Centos 5.6

Igor Partola igor at igorpartola.com
Wed Oct 5 13:54:30 EDT 2011

I was under the impression that most things in modern OSes were controlled
from the OS, and the BIOS settings only affected the system before the
kernel was loaded. For example the IDE transfer mode, the IDE/SATA's drive
write-caching and power options can all be controlled via hdparm (8).

Another option: try connecting the new drive to an old machine and see what
the performance is like there. Maybe the drives themselves are slower.

Igor