[TriLUG] Slow hard drive Centos 5.6

Alan Sterger asterger at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 6 12:33:20 EDT 2011

In my Dell BIOS, there is a setting Advanced Chipset Features >
Integrated Peripherals > SATA Mode.  Initially, this was set to ATA.
Change it to RAID.  This enables AHCI which enables the faster SATA mode
drivers.  Note, setting RAID mode in BIOS will NOT implement RAID, just
the AHCI drivers.  Certainly, Dell's initial ATA setting was to lower
support calls.

However, proceeding with a Ctrl-I at boot, WILL take you into Intel's
Rapid Storage Technology option ROM that will reformat.

Cheers,

-- Alan