[TriLUG] TWC - Packet Loss problems in Cary/Apex, NC

Seva A oddissyus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 18:49:42 EDT 2011

Are you sure it is Linux VM? Most of the OSes/VMs these days have a very
stable network stacks (specially the Unix variants). I am curious on how you
tested to come to this conclusion.

Once in a while a burst of activity in your neighborhood contributes to the
latency, but even in that case, you should not see the icmp packet loss. If
this happens again, you should contact TWC and have them take a look at your
line. You should also do pings with various packet sizes, and some
traceroutes and save the data to share with the technician.

I had the technician come to my home 3 or 4 times and each time, they found
some problem with the line some where. If you are lucky you get
knowledgeable technician or else it is upon you to educate them.