[TriLUG] TWC - Packet Loss problems in Cary/Apex, NC - Email found in subject

Brian Daniels bitmage at pobox.com
Mon Oct 10 21:09:30 EDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 08:37 PM, Brian McCullough wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 08:29:25PM -0400, David Brain wrote:
>> Not seeing anything here (Cary) - from a linux vm to a linux vm, TWC
>> business cable.
>
> 134 seconds to do 135 pings is nothing?
>

>> 135 packets transmitted, 135 received, 0% packet loss, time 134212ms
>> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 25.169/49.502/619.636/94.676 ms

The default of ping is 1 per second, so that is the expected result.

Take a look at mtr.  It's a combination of ping and traceroute that will
let you see where loss and delay is occurring.

--Brian

--
And yet less thanks have we than you.  Users scowl at us, and reporters
give us scornful names.  "Geek" I am to one fat man who lives a firewall

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at pobox.com
       http://www.eviloverlord.net