[TriLUG] Onerous Ocelot

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Oct 14 14:06:33 EDT 2011

Linux Mint is a nice alternative to Ubuntu. They have two versions:

(1) Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, but with some special sauce like
gnome and some nice sysadmin menus... and some green themes.

(2) Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is based on Debian Testing, which
means it is not really "released" as much as it is a sliding window of
continually "pretty stable" stuff. You can "apt-get dist-upgrade" on a
Debian Testing system every day and get a handful of updated packages.
The Mint team adds their special sauce (like a real Firefox instead of
Debian's IceWeasel nonsense) as packages from their own repo.

I've been running LMDE for a few months now (after being disappointed
with Ubuntu 11.04), and I really like it.

--
# ɹǝʇɹoԀ uɐl∀