[TriLUG] Emacs Mint (was: Onerous Ocelot)

Joel J. Adamson joeljamesadamson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 17:50:36 EDT 2011

"Peter Neilson" <neilson at windstream.net> writes:

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 21:39:01 -0400, Joel J. Adamson
> <joeljamesadamson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> only spending a few hours setting it up (that's mainly setting up Emacs,
>
> Any secrets on getting emacs afloat in Mint? I'd never be able to live
> without emacs. I breathe emacs.

Have you tried setting it up yet?  All I did was

>> sudo apt-get install emacs auctex bbdb w3m-el-snapshot

plus install some libraries for which I'm unaware of packages.  I've had
no problems so far.

I'd say Mint has as high a "boredom rate"[1] as Fedora or Arch so far;
Debian and the Ubuntu derivatives I've tried were far too exciting
(i.e. annoying).

Joel

Footnotes:
[1]  To be perfectly clear, I mean that I am having so few problems that
I'm barely noticing what system I'm using.  The only thing keeping me
noticing that I'm using a new distro is Mint's beautiful default desktop.