[TriLUG] OT: Marketing from Red Hat?

Chris Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Wed Oct 26 09:16:38 EDT 2011

My GAWD, that was awful!!!

It did make me laugh, out of sheer pity for the fools who paid someone to
develop this.  Using a jerry can to fill up a race car?  Really?  Is that
the level of technology I should expect from Red Hat?  It's really hard
to take a company seriously when they use poor quality marketing like this.

<sigh>

On 10/26/2011 9:01 AM, Robert Dale wrote:
> That explains the fear of javascript and flash websites ;-)
>
> So, it's a flash car race that you have no control over, you win, and
> your prize is a form to contact a Red Hat sales rep.
>
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Sean Korb <spkorb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Whoops!  No spell checker on my crappy IE browser.  Apologies.
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 8:14 AM, Sean Korb <spkorb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I just got some very well costructed spam in my snail mail box.  It's
>>> a large envelope with a return address Red Ha 1801 Varsity Dr. Raleigh
>>> NC 27606 hand written.  The post park is North Texas 390 and the
>>> package is earplugs and a card that  says "Don't just be a spectator,
>>> Sean.  Start your engines at:  www.GetIntoTheRace.com/SeanKorb" plus a
>>> clip on "Pit Pass" badge.  A wget for the site doesn't reveal much
>>> except exclusive use of Flash and Java Script.
>>>
>>> The domain is registered by GoDaddy so the owners are properly proxied
>>> away from me.  Is this a Red Hat marketing device or just plain old
>>> abuse?  Usualy Red Hat is very up front about how it markets to
>>> potential customers.  And ummmm... they don't usualy use Flash and
>>> Javascript in their web pages.
>>>
>>> I think the next step is to bring this to Red Hat's attention, but if
>>> anyone gets a similar mailing, I wanted to warn them.  It could be
>>> something they've contraced out to an external supplier, and they
>>> should know how unpleasent it all looks without getting as far as
>>> looking at it.
>>>
>>> sean
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sean Korb spkorb at spkorb.org http://www.spkorb.org
>>> '65,'68 Mustangs,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382
>>> "The more you drive, the less intelligent you get" --Miller
>>> "Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso
>>>

>> --
>> Sean Korb spkorb at spkorb.org http://www.spkorb.org
>> '65,'68 Mustangs,'68 Cougar,'78 R100/7,'60 Metro,'59 A35,'71 Pantera #1382
>> "The more you drive, the less intelligent you get" --Miller
>> "Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso
>> --
>> This message was sent to: Robert Dale <robdale at gmail.com>

chris at webperformance.com                |  http://webperformance.com
919-433-1762                            |  919-845-7601

Web Performance: Website Load Testing Software & Services